Sunday, January 24, 2010

IDENTITY - Character Designs

Rachel and I have been writing Identity, a sci-fi mob wars story for... a little over a year now? We finally have a main cast fleshed out and want to work on a plot. I'm hoping to possibly do ID after Final Arcanum is over (so yup! It'll be a webcomic!) The plan is to make it a horizontal/ish strip and I'd like to update twice a week. Rachel will be writing, and I'll be doing the art.

Keith Rowen, the main character, is a past boxer. The story starts with him, and as it runs you discover he's pretty closely tied with the Estevo family (the most powerful mobster family in New Chicago.) Generally speaking he's grumpy, cynical, a perhaps not your smartest hero, but he's likable in that he's really just a big teddy bear kinda way. Or at least that's how I think of him.

Adam is actually a cyborg originating from the Hive, a fairly mysterious scientific plant in the center of the city. He provides recon for the scientists in the Hive, researching both the progress of New Chicago, and monitoring the fickle Dead Zones. Keith runs into Adam fairly early in the story, and I'm super excited to make a ton of internet/pop culture references due to Adam's wireless setup.


Ellie, who kinda needs a last name, is a victim of a Dead Zone. I'm not the best at describing them, but basically you want to avoid them at all costs due to the fact that not only will the radiation in them mutate your genetic make-up, but there are previous victims-turned-monsters in there that are not so nice. Ellie managed to escape luckily enough, and provides the sass for the group. She's quick-witted and sarcastic, and develops a soft spot for Adam during the story. Alas, robot-mutant love!

Evander Estevo, or just Vander, is the Don of the Estevo family and aspires to control New Chicago through the family with an iron fist. He's managed to monopolize most of the New Chicago underground, but hey, why stop there? He and Kieth have run into differences in the past, especially when it comes to Kieth's romance with Vander's late-sister Lily.

Bwahaha I'm excited for this story. >D Hope you guys enjoyed the preview!

3 comments:

  1. I am enjoying these designs! The style is neat. I think Ellie is the full-body shot that really uses it to its fullest here, since she's kind of got the most dynamic pose. I also want to say I really like the simple faces a lot.

    Obviously Adam is cool just because he has neat headphone things. Will this be in colour? I really want to see Adam in colour.

    HOWEVER Kieth has stolen my heart. Partly with his nose and partly with his scruff.
    But mostly the nose. UNF.

    LASTLY: Hips = YES. I approve of this. Slicked-back hair = EVIL. I don't know why, but it seems to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMM~ As I said to you, honey, I love the kind of wordplay with "Identity: _____." Definitely something we could play with. Cast page, I'm thinking? We could do 'em dossier-style perhaps? That might be fun.

    I love Keith's nose. And his scar. And his Neo-Cowboy-ness.

    Adam is forever fun to write. Omg. SO MANY INTERWEB REFERENCES I can't wait.

    I also enjoy Ellie's weight! And I'm so happy with the Stigma in general. Love that concept.

    Vanderrrrrfffffff why are you so handsome/sexy/evil/horrible. Also, ice picks are obviously his weapon of choice. OBVIOUSLY. I mean look at that hair. He must use ice picks.

    @Shazz: WELL I MEAN KATAL WAS KINDOF A CASE IN POINT FOR THAT, AMIRITE?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Shazz - I want to say Ellie is the most expressive, so that makes sense?

    And as for color, I think it's going to be fairly simple? Maybe no more than two or three colors per page, and I really want to play with texture. Splash pages/covers/etc will be in color though!

    KEITH'S NOSE. Happy mistake but I will never get rid of it ever.


    @actoratheart - You know what? We could have a LOT of fun with the website. I'm supposd to learn a lot of PHP and Java in Web 2 which I'll take next spring, and I'll also have Animation 2 by then... ho ho ho. We might be able to have character bios that are folders that come OUT of a cabinet. That'd just be neat.

    And I kinda like the idea that Keith is essentially a cowboy. >u>;;

    Vander is the ONLY design I still want to tinker with? Unless you guys are seeing something I'm not, he's not popping enough to me, or at least not like the other three.

    ReplyDelete